If you are a graduate or an undergraduate student who has a passion for using technology to help others, contact us!
Undergraduates are welcome and do not have to have any prior experience.
If you would like to join our group, follow the instructions below and contact the director Dr. Lok at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the project:
Below is a trial project that will familiarize you with a lot of what the research in the lab is based on.
Purpose of the project:
It lets us see your ability and helps you get familiar with our research and systems.
What’s involved in the project:
- Get familiar with Unity 3D, do a tutorial and build something of your choosing. You can find a number of example projects online.
- Create an Autodesk Education account using your @ufl.edu email address. After creating an account, go here, login, and create a character.
- Export your character, and import it into Unity. You may need to install Maya which is free to download with your Autodesk Education account.
- Create a scene (of your choosing) and make the character able to move around in the scene. The characters do not contain animations – you will need to create them yourself.
- When you’re finished (2 weeks), please email Dr. Lok (email@example.com) to set up an appointment to present your demo. Please look at the calendar on his webpage (www.lokben.com) to identify a time adjacent to another UF-based meeting.
Best of luck. We look forward to seeing your project!
Directions to the lab
We are located in room 520 of the Computer Science Engineering building (CISE), just steps away from the Marston Science Library.
From Archer Road – Turn into campus at Newell Drive. Remain on Newell Drive going uphill to reach a traffic light at Museum Road (the police station will be on your right). Continue on Newell Drive past the light. Our building will be the third to come up on the left (just before Stadium Road).
From 13th Street – Turn into campus at Museum Road (about SW 8th Avenue). Continue on Museum Road until you reach a traffic light at Newell Drive, at which point you will make a right turn. The Computer Science building will be the third on the left (just before Stadium Road).
From University Avenue – Turn into campus at Buckman Drive. Make a left when you get to Union Road and a right onto Newell Drive. Our building will be the first building to the right once you pass Stadium Road.
Obtaining a parking permit – Unfortunately we’re not allowed to get a parking permit for you ahead of time – the parking people require ID from the person parking. Ask for a day pass permit from the Transportation and Parking Services office – $5 and located on the map above. There’s short-term metered parking at Transportation so you’ll be able to go in to get a day permit. They will ask you for a picture ID and the tag number of your vehicle, and then you will be able to park in the faculty parking areas.
For more information, or to report any problems with this page, please contact Professor Benjamin Lok at firstname.lastname@example.org.